Search This Blog

Monday, September 3, 2012

Kanye West Is Asking You: “Is The Word BITCH Acceptable?”


Kanye West asked
his Twitter
followers a loaded
question on Sunday.

He wrote, “I usually never tweet
questions but I struggle with this so
here goes… Is the word BITCH
acceptable?”

West continued, “To be more specific, is
it acceptable for a man to call a woman
a bitch even if it’s endearing?”

“Even tying it in question form it’s (sic)
still feels harsh,” added the hip-hop
superstar, who recently penned his
song “Perfect Bitch” about girlfriend
Kim Kardashian, intending the word as
a compliment.

West then wondered aloud about how
the term compares to another, far more
dangerous word that’s ubiquitous in
rap.

He asked, “Has hip hop conditioned us to
accept this word? Do we love this word as
much as we love the word NI*** in an
endearing way?”

“Here’s the age old question, would we
refer to our mothers as bitches? [Would] we
call our fathers ni***** or better yet
N***AS?” continued West.

West asked his Twitter followers whether, if
the N-word is “such a positive word, why
do we feel so uncomfortable for white
people to say it, even with a hall pass?”

Then, getting back to the question at hand,
he pondered, “Is it ok to use bitch as long as
we put BAD in front of it? Like you a BAD
BITCH.”
So why is this all coming up now?

West explained, “I was recently questioned
about the use of the word BITCH in my
music and initially was offended by anyone
questioning anything in my music… I will
admit that I sometimes go back [and] omit
cursing from my records. I like to use
profanity as a tool and not a crutch.”

He then wrote, “I’m not tweeting to say
what we need and what we don’t… I just
wanted to think out loud with you guys
today… #THEWORDBITCH.”
There you have it.

What do you think about West’s question and the use of that word?

No comments:

Post a Comment